How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Or mail to
111 W. Lemon Avenue, 2nd floor
Monrovia CA 91016-2809
Research Associate – Protein Biochemistry (Monrovia)
Scientist, Bioanalytical Development (Monrovia, CA)
Research Scientist, Cell Biology (Monrovia, CA)
Sr. Manager/Associate Director, Program Management (Monrovia, CA)
Study Manager, Preclinical Sciences (Monrovia, CA)
Research Associate – Molecular Biology (Monrovia, CA)
Scientist – Protein Biochemistry (Monrovia, CA)
Research Associate-Pharmacology (Monrovia, CA)
Structural Biologist/Protein Engineer (Monrovia, CA)
Sr. Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis (Monrovia, CA)
Director, Portfolio Management & Strategy (Monrovia, CA)
Scientist/Lead Scientist, Antibody Discovery (Monrovia, CA)
Clinical Trial Manager / Sr CTM – Two positions open (San Diego, CA 92130)
Manager/Associate Director, Quality Assurance (Monrovia, CA)
We are seeking a creative and energetic Protein Biochemist for our Monrovia location to join our molecular characterization and QC team. The successful candidate will play a key role in implementing protein characterization processes for our pre-clinical antibody variants, and assist in developing new tools for analytical characterization needs.
Hands-on experience with purification of recombinant antibodies/proteins at small to medium scale is a must. Knowledge of molecular biology, protein biochemistry and competence in routine protein analytical characterization tools such as HPLC, FPLC, chromatography, electrophoresis, and spectrophotometry are also required.
- Experience in characterizing recombinant antibodies/proteins using macromolecule analysis technologies (SPR, DSC/DSF, and accelerated stability studies) is a strong plus.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work well in a team are essential for this position. Creativity, enthusiasm, and strong oral and written communication skills are a bonus.
BS/MS in Biochemistry or Molecular Biology is required. A proven track record of working in a biotech environment would be a strong plus.
We seek a Scientist with expertise in the development and validation of immunoassays and cell based bioassays for research and GxP applications. The incumbent will contribute to Xencor’s engineered protein therapeutic product research and development pipeline by providing expert scientific leadership and technical performance of bioanalytical methods for immunogenicity, pharmacokinetics, biomarkers, potency, identity, and more as needed.
Job Duties Include
• Design, develop, optimize, qualify and/or validate novel immunoassays and bioassays in the research and GMP laboratories
• Mentor and matrix- or direct-manage the experiments and contributions from laboratory staff
• Data review, approval, analysis, graphing, reporting and presentation to internal and external audiences, including regulatory agencies
• Maintain current knowledge of the field and area(s) of scientific expertise and development
• Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, or a related field with 2 or more years of experience in an industrial setting.
• Extensive hands-on experience with the design, development, optimization, qualification and validation of novel immunoassays and bioassays across multiple platforms and technologies (eg, ELISA, DELFIA, MSD, AlphaScreen, flow cytometry; cell based proliferation, apoptosis, phosphorylation assays)
• Experience in and knowledge of GxP’s as relevant to laboratory practices in sample handling and analysis of GLP, GCP, and GMP samples and specimens
• Experience in and knowledge of industry guidances for the development and validation of ligand binding assays, immunogenicity immunoassays and bioassays, and/or potency assays
• Excellent organizational, documentation, and communication skills; adaptive learning, critical thinking and the ability to work well in a team
• High competence in common software and data analysis packages (eg, SoftMax Pro, GraphPad Prism, JMP ; Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Excel, Word)
We seek an outstanding cellular immunologist with expertise in oncology and immunology-focused drug discovery for the Los Angeles site. You will provide analytical and project management skills to advance therapeutic antibodies into Xencor’s clinical pipeline of autoimmune and anticancer drugs. You will work at the bench and interact with highly motivated scientists both within and outside the cellular immunology team in a goal-oriented multiple-project environment.
Job Duties include
- Provide cell-based support for multiple therapeutic molecules using primary mammalian and tumor cell cultures including cell surface binding, growth inhibition or proliferation, intracellular signaling, cytotoxicity and other immune effector functions.
- Develop and optimize novel biochemical, cellular and immunological assays for screening and validation of various engineered therapeutic molecules.
- Support in vivo disease model development and pharmacodynamics of pre-clinical therapeutic candidates in rodents and non-human primates using biochemical and cellular assays.
- Support translational studies and biomarker discovery for various clinical candidate molecules.
- Analyze and compile experimental data and research results to present for internal reviews and external representations including publications and conferences.
- Provide technical support for multiple collaborations exploiting Xencor protein engineering technologies.
- Ph.D. in immunology (T cell expertise preferred), pharmacology, or a related field is required. Relevant experience in the biopharmaceutical or biotechnology industry is a plus.
- Extensive experience in cell and tissue cultures, primary tissue preparations, bioassay development, flow cytometry, and cellular assays including proliferation, apoptosis, cell mediated cytotoxicity (antibody dependent NK and T cell cytotoxicity), cell signaling, and other immune effector function assays is required.
- Ability to work efficiently both independently and in a team environment, and demonstration of quality, proficiency, and attention to detail in your research are critically important.
- Adaptability, scientific creativity, critical thinking and analytical problem solving skills are necessary
- Excellent project management, documentation, and communication skills are necessary.
We seek a Sr. Manager/Associate Director, Program Management to be responsible for project planning/management with a focus on CMC/Manufacturing Operations. Project oversight will include: creating/managing timelines, reviewing budget, reviewing/approving manufacturing investigations, manufacturing procedures, SOPs, Technical Reports, CMC regulatory content, and clinical distribution oversight in support of product development at Xencor.
This Senior Manager/Associate Director position presents an opportunity for a qualified candidate to further enhance their leadership skills, demonstrate proficiency in project management and versatility and cultivate their overall understanding of Xencor’s business.
This position interacts with multiple levels of the organization. Candidate must have the ability to approach issues from a strategic perspective and demonstrate strong leadership skills, business acumen, communication/presentation skills, and the ability to influence others. This includes the ability to effectively drive both internal and external (virtual) teams, through active management of multiple client relationships supporting various components of the product supply chain.
Job Duties include:
• Lead and manage high-priority and highly-visible CMC/Operations projects
• Work with Xencor leadership to help create and drive CMC/Operations strategy for product candidates
• Deliver high quality and timely deliverables via the use of appropriate PM tools and methodologies
• Serve as primary project contact by interfacing with contract manufacturers and with various functional leads within Xencor
• Assist Program Management and Manufacturing lead in identifying, creating, and sustaining product development processes in order to successfully support the growing pipeline of product candidates
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, life/physical sciences or other technical degree with 10+ years of directly related experience
• Strong leadership skills
• Demonstrated ability to forge and maintain strong relationships with internal staff and external parties
• Ability to tactfully and effectively negotiate and influence
• Ability to communicate and present ideas to all levels of staff and management
• Capable of managing several projects simultaneously and prioritizing individual and team efforts accordingly
• Be a team player and self-starter who is capable of growth and increased responsibility
• Proficient in basic project management methodology and tools
• Good analytical problem solving skills
• Proficiency in MS office suite including Excel, Power Point, and Project
• Advanced degree (MS, PhD) in engineering, life/physical sciences or other technical degree
• Expertise in Manufacturing, Process Development, or other related functional areas within the Pharmaceutical/Biotech or Healthcare industry
• 2+ years experience as a project lead guiding efforts across multiple functional areas
• Advanced degree in Business (MBA) a plus
• Experience working with or for a contract manufacturer a plus
• Certified as Project Management Professional a plus
We seek a Study Manager, Preclinical Sciences to manage the logistics, operations, and scientific oversight of contracted nonclinical studies and internal and outsourced GLP, GMP, and GCLP bioanalytics (including pharmacokinetic, immunogenicity, and biomarker assays).
Job Duties include :
- Contract management
- Project management: Manage study plans (scopes of work, protocols, analysis plans), timelines, deliverables, reviews, and approvals.
- Monitor and review deliverables for completeness and scientific integrity.
- Data analysis, graphing, reporting, and presentation.
- Management of critical reagents, distribution, and stability/expiry extensions.
- Maintain current knowledge of the field and area(s) of scientific expertise and development.
- BS or MS in biological sciences, toxicology, veterinary sciences or related discipline.
- 5-8 years of relevant industry/CRO experience.
- Experience with large molecule/biologics drug development.
- Study and/or Project Management experience; PMP certification a plus.
- Experience in managing contract laboratories and sourcing or managing GLP projects at a contract laboratory.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, team-oriented environment.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office, MS Project and GraphPad Prism.
We are seeking a highly motivated, detailed-oriented and energetic Research Associate to join the Molecular Biology team at the Monrovia location. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute directly to the exciting drug discovery process by implementing the use of standard and innovative molecular cloning technologies for high-throughput construction of recombinant proteins and vector variants.
The candidate’s responsibilities will include but are not limited to: oligo design, gene construction, mutagenesis, PCR and vector construction, DNA sequencing, analysis and documentation, medium to high-throughput DNA purification. Working knowledge of DNA sequencing analysis programs (Vector NTI & Sequencher), related bioinformatics and data-mining tools is required. You will work with highly motivated research scientists in a goal-oriented multi-project environment. You must work efficiently, both independently and in a team, possess excellent organization, documentation, and communication skills, and demonstrate quality and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated competence in molecular cloning techniques.
- Strong data-management and analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work well independently and in a team environment are essential.
- Hands-on experience with small to large scale DNA purification desirable.
- Familiarity with small to large scale protein expression, purification and kinetic characterization would be a strong plus.
- BS/MS in Molecular Biology or a related field, with at least two years of relevant experience.
We are seeking a creative and energetic Protein Biochemist to join our antibody purification and QC team. The successful candidate will play a key role in implementing protein purification and characterization processes for our pre-clinical antibody variants, as well as lead in developing new isolation and analytical tools/strategies for increasing the throughput and quality.
- PhD in Biochemistry/Molecular Biology, with at least two years of relevant post-doctoral experience is required.
- Extensive hands-on experience with expression and purification of recombinant antibodies/proteins at small to medium scale is a must.
- Knowledge of protein biochemistry and competence in routine protein analytical characterization tools such as HPLC, FPLC, chromatography, electrophoresis, and spectrophotometry is required.
- Prior experience with development and use of high-throughput purification and analysis set up would be highly desired.
- Experience with cell line development and process optimization strategies for manufacturing of large molecules would be a strong plus.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, adaptive learning, critical thinking, and ability to work well in a team are essential for this position.
- A proven track record of working in a biotech environment preferred.
The ideal candidate is highly motivated, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and interested in development of novel protein therapeutics. This is an exciting opportunity with direct impact on the advancement of our research and development pipeline. Candidates should have a demonstrated record of technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and an ability to work productively with other talented scientists.
How to apply : Please submit your resume and cover letter to – firstname.lastname@example.org
At the IBC conference please contact Umesh Muchhal (email@example.com) for more details.
We seek a highly experienced and motivated scientist to complement our pharmacology department.
Responsibilities and Job Specifications
Xencor is currently looking for an experienced in vivo pharmacology research associate. The Candidate will work under minimal supervision to implement, execute and report in vivo pharmacology studies focused on identifying therapeutic antibody and protein candidates in the areas of oncology, inflammation and autoimmune disease.
In vivo responsibilities will include disease induction (including surgeries), test article and reagent formulation and preparation, dosing (by all major routes), tumor measurements, in vivo imaging, blood/tissue collection, animal husbandry, and monitoring of animal health. In addition, candidate will be responsible for sample processing, data collection and analyses (graphing, statistics, etc.), generation of draft study protocols/reports, training of junior associates, maintenance and ordering of vivarium supplies and detailed record keeping.
Other required skills include mammalian cell culture (aseptic preparation of media, freezing and thawing of cells, expanding/splitting cells for in vivo implantation), basic laboratory procedures such as protein quantitation, ELISA, and experience with Microsoft Excel and GraphPad Prism. Candidate will be required to handle human tissue samples.
Candidate will work with highly motivated research scientists in a goal-oriented multi-project environment. In addition, the candidate must be well-organized, detail-oriented, able to work both independently and in a team setting, have excellent oral and written communication skills and be available for work on weekends.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in biology or a related field, with 5+ years of relevant pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry experience with cancer xenograft, inflammation and/or autoimmunity mouse models is required.
We are seeking a Ph.D. scientist for our protein engineering group. Additional postdoctoral and/or industry experience is a plus. This key contributor will use Xencor’s proprietary computational protein design technologies to develop antibody-based protein therapeutics. Candidates should possess experience in structure-based protein design, protein modeling, bioinformatics, or structural biology, with a demonstrated record of applying these tools to problems within the life sciences. A strong intuition and understanding of protein structure and function is critical. Background in the field of antibody engineering is highly desired. Programming experience as well as knowledge of commercial modeling or bioinformatics software is also desired. A good understanding of immunology and cell biology is a plus. Experience with intellectual property is also a plus.
The ideal candidate is highly motivated, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and interested in designing novel protein therapeutics. This is an exciting opportunity to impact the next wave of drug development candidates to enter our pipeline. Candidates should have a demonstrated record of technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and an ability to work productively with other talented scientists.
The successful candidate will be an experienced, self-motivated and hands-on Sr. Manager of Financial Planning & Analysis who will work with the finance and operation teams in supporting our efforts to quantitatively analyze potential opportunities for our current pipeline and the investments required along with the risk profile for each program. The role will also require integral planning and analysis with the clinical and research functions to budget and forecast resources and to regularly report results to senior management. This critical position will assist the company’s financial planning and analysis function and maintain a high level of interaction with senior leadership.
Job Duties include:
- Assist in the development and coordination of the financial budgets for the Company, including maintaining activity-based budgeting in partnership with department heads/project leads
- Assist with the budgeting/forecasting process with department heads/project leads to ensure financial information is provided on a regular basis in order to effectively manage the business
- Develop presentations and analysis of budget performance and key business metrics
- Develop reporting tools for research contract work, clinical trials and manufacturing activities
- Perform analytics (including Net Present Value analyses) to support commercial planning, business development and strategic planning activities
- Other projects, ad hoc analysis and duties as assigned
- Bachelors in Finance, Accounting or related field required (or relevant experience), MBA a plus
- Five years of FP&A experience in similar role, with at least 2 years in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- Highly proficient in Excel (including the ability to perform pivot tables, VLOOKUP and high-level functions and formulas) and PowerPoint
- Solid proficiencies and adaptability leveraging finance system capabilities
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP)
- Detail-oriented; exceptional troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Comfortable in a fast-paced small company environment with minimal direction and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities
We seek a Director, Portfolio Management & Strategy, to oversee the assessment and prioritization of the company’s pipeline of monoclonal antibody therapeutics. The incumbent will execute technical and market analysis of the company’s product portfolio i) to support decision-making and resource allocation throughout all stages of R&D and commercialization and ii) to guide product development decisions to align the portfolio with the company’s business and financial strategy. Reports to CEO in Monrovia, CA.
- Responsible for analyzing, valuing and prioritizing the company’s early stage and clinical monoclonal antibody programs
- Execute market analyses of the company’s R&D programs, including epidemiology, clinical landscape, commercial and reimbursement environment
- Conduct competitive analysis for portfolio programs
- Collaborate with finance function to develop valuation models and operating plans for product portfolio
- Define portfolio evolution timelines and trade offs
- Prepare presentations of market and financial analyses and portfolio prioritization for the CEO and Board of Directors
- Responsible for the overall design, implementation and delivery of all externally contracted product market research and competitive analysis to the organization.
- Responsible for the development of primary and secondary market research plan and budget
- Assist R&D management in identification and assessment of new product opportunities
- Provides market assessment and competitive landscape input for business development of the company’s monoclonal antibody pipeline and antibody optimization technologies
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA, MD or PhD in the life sciences or engineering with excellent academic track record preferred
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a strategy consulting firm providing portfolio strategy support for biotech/pharmaceutical clients plus 2-3 additional years relevant experience in business (or consulting);
-alternatively, 5+ years in portfolio management, new product planning or corporate strategy role for a company in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry;
-prefer an additional 2-3 years of team or project leadership in a healthcare R&D or commercial organization
- Epidemiology-based revenue forecasting and asset valuation experience
- Proven ability to lead multiple projects efficiently and independently, with appropriate communication with senior management
- Demonstrated expert-level ability and success using written and verbal communication skills to communicate complex scientific, medical and business
- Strong knowledge and understanding of healthcare industries
- Ability to partner simultaneously with internal business colleagues and external consultants/experts as needed
- Outstanding flexibility and adaptability suited for the changing requirements and fast pace of a small biotechnology company
We are seeking a creative and energetic Scientist to lead our antibody discovery efforts. The successful candidate is a laboratory-based Scientist who will be tasked with building and implementation of display based antibody discovery technologies, including but not limited to phage display. The candidate will be part of a collaborative team effort that enables rapid discovery and evaluation of our early stage pipeline of antibody based therapeutics.
- PhD in Molecular Biology/Biochemistry/Immunology, with at least two years of relevant post-doctoral experience is required.
- Extensive hands-on experience with phage display methods (library construction, panning, affinity optimization) is a must.
- Broad background in the field of antibody/protein engineering, screening technologies is required.
- Experience with novel protein and antibody formats, and overall understanding of the therapeutic development process would be highly desired.
- Familiarity with protein production and characterization methods would be a plus.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, adaptive learning, critical thinking, and ability to work well in a team are essential for this position.
- A proven track record of working in a biotech environment preferred.
The successful candidate, to be based in the San Diego office, will be an experienced, self-motivated CTM/Sr CTM to lead the day-to-day Clinical Operations functional activities associated with the execution of ongoing clinical trials outsourced to third party Vendors and CROs.
Job Duties include
- Manages and leads the day-to-day clinical trial activities related to the development and execution of cross-functional and third-party vendor activities and deliverables, including but not limited to, development and/or review of clinical data management conduct (e.g. eCRFs, CRF guidelines, edit check specifications, database build, query resolution and database cleaning), relevant study plans (e.g. monitoring, study operations, quality, communications, etc.), protocol review for operational feasibility and consistency, tracking site selection and activation and patient recruitment and tracking to project timelines
- Clinical operations leader and main point of contact with counterpart at outside vendor, CRO and/or trial sites; daily review and identification of potential issues or problems and communicates/escalates to CTL/Project Team
- Develops, maintains and promotes, effective and collaborative working relationships with and among internal team members and external vendors and 3rd party personnel to develop team esprit de corps
- Participates in Clinical Operations initiatives and programs as assigned, including identifying areas of best practice and recommends process improvements, development of SOPs and department level training and cross project initiatives
- Prepare and maintain Trial Master Files (TMF) for multiple studies, ensuring tracking of ICH-GCP and/or FDA CRF21 essential study documents. Inform the CTL/Project Team on any outstanding document/s
- Develops knowledge of sample collection and analysis process at the study level and may perform reconciliation and/or tracking of sample manifests
- Lead reviews of key data to identify trends, discrepancies, errors etc. to ensure ongoing quality of conduct in accordance with the protocol and vendor contracts, including on-going review of emerging data for tables, listings and figures
- Performs in-house review of site monitoring reports and tracking to ensure appropriate monitoring of trial conduct and satisfactory resolution of outstanding issues
- Develop and maintain tracking spreadsheets with study level information to enable accurate and efficient supply of clinical drug product (IMP) and clinical supplies to Sites, Vendors and CROs
- Support financial oversight of clinical studies through invoice tracking and reconciliation for potential change orders
- Tracking of patient and recruitment status using applicable spreadsheets and web portal tools
- Assist in the critical development and review of key study documents (eg, Protocol, ICF, study plans, eCRF etc.)
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in a field of science or nursing, preferably biology, chemistry, or pharmacy
- For CTM, at least 5 years clinical operations experience as a clinical research associate. For Sr. CTM, at least 8 years clinical operations experience, with at least 5 years as a clinical research associate
- Expert knowledge of FDA and/or EMEA Regulations, ICH Guidelines, and GCPs governing the conduct of clinical trials
- Expert time management and organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in work, with a strong work ethic, willing to put in the time and effort to complete critical tasks on time with quality
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers and clients
- Computer skills including proficiency in use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Microsoft Project
- Must think critically and creatively and be able to work independently to determine appropriate actions to resolve complex problems
We seek a Manager/Associate Director, Quality Assurance to coordinate, prepare and submit filings with authorities and to provide support to multiple project teams. Will work with senior regulatory advisor to develop strategies and action plans for Xencor’s clinical and pre-clinical programs.
Job Duties include:
- Maintain QA and cGxP compliance for all aspects of the program to support clinical studies
- Write, review, approve, and maintain cGxP documentation for corporate, CMC, and preclinical functions (SOPs, protocols, technical reports, etc.)
- Establish, oversee, and maintain Standard Operation Procedures for corporate, CMC, Pre-clinical, and clinical functions
- Oversee execution of Quality Systems such as Change Control, complaint investigations and deviation trending
- Assist/lead in cGxP inspections of contract manufacturing and contract testing laboratories and monitor to ensure cGMP/GLP compliance
- Develop, negotiate and maintain Quality Agreements with contract manufacturing partner and ensure requirements are met and enforced
- Interact with in-house personnel and contract manufacturing and test facilities to coordinate and monitor quality aspects of production and testing activities
- Direct batch record review and lot disposition activities to ensure release of lots within prescribed timelines and in compliance with applicable regulatory submissions and approvals
- Support equipment, utility and facility qualification activities
- Approve analytical method validations strategy and protocols and reports
- Approve process and product validation strategy and protocols and reports
- Participate in the preparation and review of CMC sections of regulatory submissions
- Support external and internal audits as required
- BS (or equivalent) in a scientific related field with a minimum of 7-10 years experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry
- Minimum of 5 years in Quality Assurance, preferably in the biologics field
- Working knowledge and technical understanding of the manufacture and testing of biologics
- Experience in reviewing cGMP/GLP related documents (SOPs, protocols, batch records, technical reports, etc.)
- Working knowledge of cGMP principles with respect to FDA and EMA regulations
- Working knowledge of cGCP a plus
- Experience working with contract manufacturing and testing facilities; experience with interacting with Qualified Persons
- Highly organized and ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently and with various work groups
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organization
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Xencor Inc. is an innovative biotechnology company located in the Los Angeles area (near Pasadena) and in San Diego. We recently completed a successful IPO. We use our pioneering XmAb® technology to develop better biotherapeutics – antibodies that target new biological mechanisms and are more potent, safer and longer lasting – to improve patient outcomes and quality of life.
In addition to generating a pipeline of novel drug candidates, with nine in clinical testing by Xencor or our partners, our XmAb® technology has been validated through our collaborative agreements with leading biopharmaceutical companies including Amgen, Novo Nordisk, Morphosys, Merck, CSL, Janssen(J&J), Alexion and Boehringer Ingelheim.
Our employees are the most important factor in our success and we have assembled a highly talented group from diverse backgrounds and disciplines to execute our business plan and shape our future. Xencor employees value new ideas and flexibility and demand from each other scientific rigor, a passion for innovation, and a willingness to take risks.
We strive to create an environment that will challenge, motivate, and reward our employees for meeting the changing demands of creating breakthrough therapeutics. Xencor has a highly collaborative structure that integrates co-workers with different skill sets into teams for product and technology development. With an emphasis on attaining the best and most highly qualified candidates in their respective fields, we offer a competitive salary & benefits package.